Monday, February 27, 2012

American Pie Workshop at ICE

I took a baking class at the Institute of Culinary Education (ICE) yesterday. It was a 4-hour pie workshop where 15 of us learned how to make some classic american pies. ICE has a lot of programs they offer; career training, professional courses and many recreational classes. Before I signed up for a full on pasty program I decided to simply test out their 1-day American Pie Workshop.
The instructor, Jenny is the pastry chef at Tom Colicchio's restaurant, Craft. Most of the 15 students were novices and were interested in learning the basics of pie baking. I told no one my ultimate goal, I don't want anyone else snatching up my idea. The classroom was basically a restaurant kitchen - heavy duty ovens, equipment everywhere and a live dishwasher - better! Jenny started out by going over her recipe for crust (all butter, btw) and talking through the steps of her 6 pie recipes. She then divided us into groups of 2 so there were 3 A groups and 3 B groups and each group was assigned 3 pies to make. Then we sort of were left loose. Jenny floated around and watched the ovens to make sure nothing was burning badly and was available for questions. My partner, Alexandria and I were assigned Apple-Streusel Pie, Chocolate-Peanut Butter Mousse Pie with an Oreo Crust and Summer Berry Pie. The other groups were making Lemon Meringue Pie, Chocolate-Pecan Pie and Pumpkin Pie. We spent the next 3 hours making the dough, Oreo crust and the 3 pies. We each had our hands in some aspect of each pie and were able to finish 3 pies in 3 short hours.
I enjoyed the class and did pick up some tips for rolling out dough, making Oreo and Graham Cracker crusts and butter measurement quick tricks. I got to use a food processor for the dough and a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer , which I am now OBSESSED with and must have. I would have preferred to work alone and make the pie(s) myself from start to finish even if that meant making fewer pies or having a long class. Overall a good experience and a fun way to spend a Sunday morning but not sure that I need to go back.



Institue for Culinary Education


Summer Berry Pie (with mascarpone filling) - This was amazing and the best crust to date. So good. Can't wait to get home to eat it tonight. (If I get home and Joel's eaten it all I am going to flip!)

Apple-Streusel Pie, Chocolate-Peanut Butter Mousse Pie with an Oreo Crust and Summer Berry Pie.

You can't even see the goo-ey goodness of chocolate-peanut butter beneath the homemade whipped cream but it was rich! The homemade whipped cream was great also and less sweat than the store bought stuff. Alexandria forgot to watch the clock so the streusel got slightly over-cooked but it still tasted good and I made extra streusel topping so I have some in my freezer now!

Must get KitchenAid stat double stat! Look how pretty this pale yellow one is! 



No comments:

Post a Comment