Friday, January 6, 2012

Holidays and BabyCakes!

I was at home over Christmas and was far too relaxed to be thinking about taking pictures or notes during my baking session so I don't have much to share from the past couple weeks.

While at home I made 2 pies; an apple with pecan crumble for Christmas Eve dinner and a pecan for Christmas. The end results of both turned out well but there were some major complications getting there. Batch 1 of dough was a dud and I had to throw it out and start over - totally worth it because batch 2 was flaky, light and delicious. When making the crumble top for the apple I used FOUR CUPS of flour instead of 3/4 CUP - teensy mistake so I had to remake the crumble. I suppose I wasn't used to distractions - I was in the kitchen with 4 other cooks; my Dad was cooking (yes, cooking!) a marinade for salmon and was making all sorts of weird comments that I wish I could remember but they were apparently so random that Jill was video taping him, Page was cooking risotto, Kramer was probably barking and my Mom was surely thinking she'd wish she'd just cooked the whole meal herself instead of having us help. Anyway, the final crumble was tasty.

I also got a new pie cookbook for Xmas - it was must be a great one because I got 2! I look at that as a sign that eventually I'll have a place for 2 books, one at home and one at the pie shop! I'm super excited to try out a new recipe this weekend.

Since I don't have pics to share, I'll share an inspiring article about another NYC gal who opened up her own bakery.

http://www.garancedore.fr/en/2012/01/05/career-girl-erin/

No comments:

Post a Comment